A well-maintained commercial roof can serve you for many years. Unfortunately, many business owners rarely think about their commercial roof until it requires a replacement or a significant repair. Neglecting your commercial roofing can lead to costly repairs or even replacements. That’s why keeping your commercial roofing in good shape is essential to improve its performance and extend its service.
In this guide, the commercial roofing pros at Tri-County Commercial Roofing share 11 preventative commercial roof maintenance tips to help you keep your commercial roof and maximize your commercial roof’s performance and lifespan.
✅Start by Choosing the Right Roofing Materials
One effective way to extend the lifespan of your commercial roof is to select a suitable roofing material. Each roofing material has its own maintenance requirements and lifespan. As such, take your time to think about your budget and preferences before selecting a commercial roof. Some commercial roofing materials you can consider include:
- Metal Roofing: Many commercial business owners prefer metal roofing due to its durability, minimal maintenance requirements, and energy efficiency. With proper commercial roof maintenance, your metal roof will provide 50 years of service.
- EPDM Roofing: EPDM roofing is a single-ply membrane made of rubber. It’s also popular due to its ease of installation, minimal maintenance requirements, and durability. EPDM roofs can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance.
- Built-Up Roofing: Built-up roofing is a conventional material made of felt and asphalt layers. Its affordability and durability make it one of the most installed commercial roofing materials. However, it requires regular maintenance and can be prone to leaks.
- TPO Roofing: Like EPDM roofing, TPO is also a single-ply membrane. However, it’s made up of thermoplastic olefin and can last up to 30 years.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing: Modified bitumen is quite similar to built-up roofing. However, it comprises a single-ply membrane with a plastic or rubber modifier. It is also more durable than built-up roofing and requires less maintenance.
- Polyurethane Spray Foam: Polyurethane spray foam has also grown in popularity over the years due to its insulation properties, durability, and affordability. It is applied directly to the roof deck as a liquid and then expands into a solid foam. Due to its insulation properties, polyurethane spray foam can enhance energy efficiency and reduce cooling and heating costs. It can also help protect your commercial roof from harmful UV rays and harsh elements.
✅Inspect Your Roof Regularly
Even after selecting suitable roofing material, it is still essential to inspect it regularly. Generally, it’s best to inspect your roof twice a year, once in the fall and in the spring. While you are at it, remember to check for damage or wear and tear, including:
- Loose or missing shingles or tiles
- Damage to the gutters or flashing
- Holes in your roofing material
- Water stains or mold growth
- Debris or vegetation on your roof
✅Clean Your Gutters
Gutters play a vital role in the performance of your commercial roof. As a result, it is essential to clean them at least twice every year to extend your roof’s lifespan.
✅Address Leaks Immediately
If you notice any signs of leaks in your facility, such as dampness, mold growth, or water stains, it is vital to address them immediately before things get out of hand. Failure to address them quickly can lead to water damage, structural problems, and mold growth.
✅Trim Overhanging Trees
If trees surround your commercial facility, trim any overhanging branches or trees close to your roof. Overhanging branches or trees can clog your gutters and downspouts.
✅Check Your Insulation
Proper insulation plays an integral role in maintaining the health of your commercial roof. Without it, heat from your commercial facility can escape, forming ice dams on your roof during the chilly winter. This can cause water damage and other structural problems if not addressed quickly. So, always inspect your insulation to ensure it is in good condition and installed correctly.
✅Avoid Walking on the Roof
You should never walk on your commercial roof as it can reduce life expectancy and performance. Instead, always hire a professional commercial roofer to inspect the top of your roof without causing damage.
✅Address All Roofing Issues As Soon as They Arise
It’s highly recommended to deal with all roofing issues as early as they arise to prevent further damage. If you ignore a roofing problem, it is likely to get out of hand and require a complete replacement after some time.
✅Develop a Comprehensive Maintenance Plan
Another preventative commercial roof maintenance tip that you should embrace to extend your commercial roof’s lifespan and performance is to create a comprehensive commercial roof maintenance plan. Your plan should include routine inspections, cleaning, and repairs.
✅Plan For Roof Snow Removal
Heavy snow accumulation on your commercial roof can cause damage or collapse if not addressed on time. You should develop a snow removal plan to prevent snow damage.
✅Consider Roof Coatings
Installing roof coatings is a cost-effective way of providing another layer of protection and extending your commercial roof’s lifespan. Consult experienced and reliable South Bend commercial roofing contractors to determine whether roof coatings suit your commercial facility.
Follow these 11 commercial roof maintenance tips to extend your commercial roof’s life and prevent costly repairs and replacements. If you have any more questions on how to extend the lifespan of your commercial roofing systems, work with a reliable professional roofing contractor Fort Wayne roofing company.